Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Heidelberg

Since arriving in Germany, I've spent two days with my friend Dan, also from UNC and also named Dan, who has been studying in Heidelberg this year. He showed me around his town and explained a bit of the living- in-Germany learning curve to me. First, he tried explaining all of this to me in his now refined, rapid-fire German, but I was having some trouble following him, so we eventually devolved to mostly English. He explained that he felt exactly as I do, overwhelmed, during his first few days, which hopefully means that I'm on the right track to becoming a German-speaking juggernaut.

Dan was incredibly helpful at explaining several aspects of the German university system, how recognize and use a light switch in Germany, urban transit, cafeteria food, and how to interact with the locals. For example, he needed to find the chemistry course booklet, so he showed me how to go about finding one. After we wandered through a couple buildings unsuccessfully, he approached a random female student to ask where to get the book. To summarize her response, she just provided the directions so that he could get the book. We walk away and as soon as she is out of earshot, Dan said, "Oh yeah, she definitely likes me."

The past few days, I've felt like a tourist, which I have been; however, it is hard to grasp that I'm actually here in Germany to stay. And now, I head to Freiburg for the full experience.

No comments: