Monday, March 07, 2005

Names Gone Wrong

At this point, I've been in Freiburg, located in southwest Germany, for a week. My German is coming back to me and my roommates have explained to me that I can't just eat spaghetti for every meal everyday, even if it is better financially.

As far as cooking goes, I have two awesome Bulgarian roommates, Radi and Anni, who supply me with a bit of their Bulgarian food since they always conveniently cook too much, and also give me pointers on cooking. Today's useful discovery was that I need to add Würze to my soups. "Würze", which looks a lot like my last name, are spices. "Wurzel", which is the first 60% of my last name, means "root." Therefore, my name could be literaly translated "Dan Rootman," which rhymes with itself and generally sounds Hollywood (yeah, so maybe I'm stretching it). Some of you may remember erratic NY Yankee second baseman Chuck Knoblauch. While learning spices, I learned that Knoblauch is German for garlic, thus leading to Chuck Garlic. Unfortunately, directly translating names doesn't work for everybody. Mister Knoblauch, thanks for forever imprinting the German word Knoblauch into my head. One less word I have to study.

No comments: